Meet The Southern Girl With The Soulful Sound: Alesia Lani
Have you ever ran across someone and said “Sheesh. Sounds like you’ve been singing all your life.” Texas-bred RnB soul singer Alesia Lani is the epitome of this statement… probably because she’s been singing all her life. At the young age of 8, Alesia began writing her own songs. Now, years later, the rising talent has since been featured on recordings with artists such as Ghost, PeaCE, and The League of Extraordinary G’z, appeared in numerous fashion shows, being featured in national music videos such as Chalie Boys “On My Momma,” and has released her debut album in 2015 titled First Impression.
Her beautiful sound has not gone unnoticed. The young songstress has recently won “Best New Artist” as well as “Best R&B Artist” at the 2015 Austin Hip Hop Awards, and today, she is focused on creating new sounds.
-At what age did you begin to take music seriously?
I’ve been singing for as long as I can remember but I started taking it seriously in high school!
– You also studied dance; ballet, modern, and jazz. Was dance another passion outside of singing or did you study to kind of prepare yourself for the music stage?
I legit love to dance. It just so happened to go hand in hand with music but dancing is like therapy to me just like singing.
– Who inspires you musically?
The old school funk & R&B really inspires me. My mom had me listening to so much good music I don’t have any relatives who inspired me. So if I had to pick someone though I would have to go with Missy Elliot! She’s just amazing
– You released your debut album “First Impression” in 2015. What was the inspiration behind the title and album itself?
It just seemed very appropriate since I’ve been singing for years prior to my release so it was a way to say this is the real me & what I have to offer now.
– What would you say is the motivation behind your music? Love? Break-up? Both?
Yeah, you know life experiences I’ve dealt with, even close friends.
– In one word, how would you describe your style and why?
Soulful. Besides being told all the time that it is, I feel it’s full of compassion, grit, pain & raw.
– Tell me about your latest single “Ride” and your collaboration withTONE1Y and Clova.
“Ride” is such a great track, I just love to feel and the beat! When the song was introduced to me it was basically already done the only thing missing was the second verse. The producer Jon Keyz wanted a different element to the song and I was happy to oblige.
– If you could work with one producer and one artist for an entire project, who would it be and why?
Timbaland & Missy Elliot. I really don’t think I need to give a reason why lol they are just dope as hell!
– What has the music game taught you so far?
That’s there are levels to it. All the dynamics to being an artist is so important to give your 100%.
– What’s the best advice you’ve received and given?
Best advice given to me would be to don’t ever look back, keep pushing forward.
And if I could give any advice is to believe & trust tour decision and or sense of direction. Keep riding your wave, don’t let nobody knock you down.
– What can we expect from Alesia Lani in 2017?
You can expect more music from me this year! Broaden my opportunities & give back more to my fans & community.
– Anything else you’d like to say/add?
Keep a look out for Alesia Lani & for new sounds! Thank you so much RNB Magazine for the feature!
Tweets by AlesiaLani
Interviewed by: Simone Grant